10.07.2012

AWITLOL* - Day 3

* A Week in the Life of Lori

Admittedly, yesterday was a weird day in my food world. Breakfast was a bit of a rush, due to me heading out for a haircut, lunch was actually at 3:30 (because we were going to catch a movie between the wedding ceremony and reception, but the movie we wanted to see was at a time that didn't work, so we got lunch instead), and then dinner was at a wedding, so it was completely out of my control.

But all said and done, I think I did okay. I justify it by all of the walking around downtown, a little dancing at the reception, and how hard my internal system had to work to keep my core body temperature high enough while I was walking around downtown for two hours without a jacket and in my dress.

I was a bit disappointed that the fish wasn't the healthier option, though every single thing that came out looked great. I just made sure to eat my vegetables first, then the fish, sans crumbs, and lastly the deep fried starchy goodness with cheese.

And last, but not least, congratulations to Al and Tatiana!

Saturday
Breakfast

  • 1 slice of bacon
  • 1/2 apple
  • (I told you it was weird...)
Lunch
  • Skinny Combo at Burrito Beach (1 chicken taco, southwest quinoa salad, and veggie chili)
Cocktail Hour
  • Soda water with lime
  • Melba toast with creme fraiche and caviar, boursin stuffed mushroom (one of each, just to sample, but I did pass on the deep fried appetizers)
Dinner
  • White wine, 1 glass
  • Spinach salad with citrus vinaigrette
  • Whitefish with buttered breadcrumbs (scraped the crumbs off and it was still delish)
  • Roasted asparagus with capers
  • Fried risotto cake (I wish I was joking... it was really rich, and tasted really good. I had about 1/3 of it and then traded the rest to Steve for one of his carrots:)
Dessert
  • Fresh fruit with creme anglaise (kind of pudding-like)
  • Champagne, 1 glass
No recipes today, but here's a tip for you - when you're cooking bacon, use a metal cooling rack set inside a rimmed cookie sheet. The fat will drip off of the meat and end up in the tray, not your arteries. And speaking of fat, if you bake it at 325 for about 40 minutes, more of the fat will render out so you still get crispy bacon that isn't totally burned.

Have a great week! Tomorrow's another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment