4.23.2012

Making Mornings Easier

I have a getting-ready routine firmly ingrained into my self, and that routine follows an evening routine of the same nature. These routines are so much a part of my day that even during times of the year when I don't have to get myself or the kids ready by a certain time, I still find myself going through these motions.

The nighttime routine goes a little something like this:
~ Set out H's and E's clothes
~ Wash any bottles so they're ready to go at 6am and we're not fumbling around to clean them
~ Wash any dishes in the sink
~ Make my lunch
~ Check all doors to see they're locked
~ A few more paranoid things to check that I won't share here to avoid being made fun of...

Right now, we don't have to get the kids dressed and out the door in the morning and I cannot begin to express how much that has made things easier. But even so, I find that I have a hard time getting myself out the door with everything I need, so I stick to the routine.

Last summer, we decided not to buy any more cereal because for as much as we ate it for a convenient breakfast, we also ate it for a convenient 10:00pm snack. And really, that's not so much a necessary part of our day. We've stuck to it, probably for the best. But what that meant was now I had to figure in time to make toast and eggs that morning, or have something ready to go the night before. And really, that wasn't happening.

So when I came across this recipe on Pinterest (yay, Pinterest!) I had to try it, and we've been using this constantly since then. Its economical, healthy, and tasty to boot!


I even did the math to figure out how economical it is to make your own oatmeal.

Quaker Instant Oatmeal - Maple & Brown Sugar
15.1 ounces - $3.79 - $0.25 per ounce

Homemade Oatmeal Mix
65.25 ounces - $11.32 - $0.17 per ounce
(using brand name items - even less if you're using store brand!)

I know that a difference of $0.08 per ounce might not mean much, but that means for the same amount of Quaker Instant Oatmeal, you'd be paying... $16.31! Would you make your own oatmeal if you go through one whole batch a week like we do?

Plus, did I mention that it tastes so much better than the Quaker mix?

It totally does.



Homemade Oatmeal Mix
From Frugally Sustainable found via Pinterest

Ingredients
6 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup dry instant milk
1 1/2 Tablespoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions
Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container.

To make oatmeal: Measure 1/2 cup oatmeal and 1/2 cup water into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on full-power for 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!

If you want to make a bigger bowl, use 3/4 cup oatmeal and 1 cup water. Heat for approximately 1 minute 15 seconds, depending on your microwave.

Mix-Ins (after cooking, before cooling):
Raisins, sliced or slivered almonds, chopped walnuts or pecans, dried cranberries

Makes approximately 16 - 1/2 cup (dry) servings

No comments:

Post a Comment