9.27.2010

Kitchen Lessons, Part I

No recipe this time - just a few tips, tricks, observations, and lessons from along the way. These are all directly related to something I have recently made or something that will be popping up later this week. That'll keep you guessing, eh?

Observations
  1. Fresh garlic is super cheap and it keeps for a loooooong time.
  2. Fresh garlic can be a pain to peel and chop.
Tips & Tricks
  1. To peel fresh garlic, you have two options:
    • Leave a bit of the bottom part on the garlic clove (don't know the real term for it). Cut into that until you're almost through, then use that to help start the peel for the rest of the clove.
    • If you have a pot of hot or boiling water already, dunk the cloves into the water for about 10 seconds and the peel will slide right off. Genius. (And I can say that because it wasn't my idea.)
  2. To avoid chopping garlic with an actual knife, use a food chopper. I have one right now that I use for both garlic and nuts. I plan to buy a second one just for garlic as soon as I get another 20% off BB&B coupon. Although the garlicy nuts aren't too bad, unless they're in cookies.
Lessons
  1. If the recipe doesn't look appetizing when you read it, it probably won't be appetizing once you've put in the time and effort to cook it.
  2. If a recipe looks like goulash, smells like goulash, and quacks like goulash, its probably goulash. Even if its called "stroganoff." We wouldn't have eaten it twice this week if I had paid attention.
  3. When you're making a recipe by The BC, heed her directions. They will not fail.

1 comment:

  1. You can bash the garlic clove under a large knife too that makes it split a little bit and then you can easily peel it. :)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete